Please note that Tufenkian does not buy rugs via our online store or our Portland Outlet location, but we present these hints if you have rugs that you want to sell.
- Have your Rug Professionally Cleaned: If it has been more than one year since your rug was purchased, or obviously needs a cleaning, you should have it cleaned by a professional
- Locate your Receipt or Statement of Value: If you purchased directly from a Tufenkian Artisan Carpets Showroom and the carpets were imported by Tufenkian from Nepal or Armenia, you may wish to contact us for an updated statement of value. Please call our New Jersey office at 201.221.1055 X335
- Obtain a Professional Appraisal: For non-Tufenkian brand rugs that do not have any original paperwork, it is helpful to contact a rug appraiser in your area. The appraiser would also be your first guide to know what you need to do next. To find an appraiser near you we suggest contacting the Oriental Rug Retailers of America
- Use a Consignment Store: Look for a reputable consignment store in your area that is known for selling handmade carpets
- Craigslist: This option allows you to post your listing for free; simply attach a photo and description of your rug. The buyer usually picks up the rug, and you don’t pay a percentage or commission
- Donation: Donate your old handmade rug to a charity auction. Check with your tax adviser and the Internal Revenue Service to see how to navigate this process and what you can claim for artwork